Call for artists – NetPark Commissions
Deadline: Friday 13 February 2015
There is also an ‘Open Day’ to visit Chalkwell Park on Thursday 11 December 2014.
Metal are looking to commission three artists – working from a starting point in any artistic discipline – to create a digital artwork for a public park in Southend on Sea.
About the Project
These commissions are part of the first phase of a larger project, to create NetPark. This is an exciting initiative developed by Metal to create a digital layer of new purpose built, site specific, digital artworks for Chalkwell Park in Southend-on-Sea. Our ambition is that NetPark will create an added layer of thought-provoking, engaging and playful artworks to create a visitor experience that will enhance the usual day out in the park, and attract new visitors to the park and to Southend.
NetPark will create the first digital art park in the world.
Who Can Apply:-
The commissions are open to artists from all art-forms. Metal works in an inter-disciplinary way encouraging artists to experiment and blur boundaries.
We do not expect artists to necessarily have advanced digital skills but we are interested in practitioners who can demonstrate how their work might translate into digital form within the ‘layer’ for the park.
Criteria for artists:-
• an established artist with at least 2 years in practice
• no specific digital skills are required – however, an understanding on how an idea for a work might be translated into, and work as a digital work needs to be articulated within the application.
• prepared to commit the time necessary to the process and to ensure that the opportunity is made full use of
Commissioned artists will be expected to:-
• Attend collaborative meetings and workshops with the partners on site at Chalkwell Park
• Work within a technical/software framework set out by Calvium
• Work to set deadlines
• Be prepared to be open about their process and share/show work in progress.
• Be prepared to make a contribution to Metal’s websites and social media campaigns (e.g. images / video podcast / written contribution)
• Be prepared to make a contribution to Metal’s ongoing programme (e.g. give a talk at Future Park meeting / contribute to an event / or other.
Examples of digital artworks might include:-
• Sonic art works that are triggered by GPS location within an app environment
• Visual works that may have some form of narrative element or not
• Fictions and stories that can be listened to or viewed within the park
• Works that are trans-locational, ie an experience from one or more locations in the park
• New musical works that are locative or listened to throughout the park
• Digital works that utilise code or input from viewers in a performative way
• Design based works that use colour, code or locative media in some form (including digital comics)
• Performance or live art works that take place within software or as experiences on tablet and mobile devices
We are not looking for:-
• Physical artworks, ie sculpture
• Works that require interventions physically into the park
- See more at: http://www.metalculture.com/netpark-artists-application/#sthash.GVxPJbV8.dpuf