Mythical Maze Summer Reading Challenge
Summer Reading Challenge
What is the Summer Reading Challenge?
The Summer Reading Challenge takes place every year during the summer holidays. Children can sign up at your local library, then read six library books of your choice, collecting stickers and other rewards along the way – all FREE. At Southend Borough Libraries, if you read 8 books you will also get a swimming voucher and be entered into a prize draw for Adventure Island wristbands, Southend United Football tickets or pantomime tickets for Peter Pan starring David Hasselhoff and Christopher Biggins.
How it works
• Starts Saturday 19th July, finishes Saturday 30th August.
• Come to as many sessions as you can during the summer
• Choose your books from any part of the Children’s Library
• On your next visit talk to us about the book you read
• If you like, write a review of one of the others or draw a picture
• Collect colourful stickers for each book and stick them on your Mythical Maze poster
• Have fun – enjoy your holiday reading
Awards for Reading
• On joining: Bookmark + sticker
• 1st book: Mythical Maze poster + 1st sticker
• 2nd book: Sticker
• 3rd book: Sticker
• 4th book: Sticker + wrist band + certificate (sent to school in September)
• 5th book: Sticker
• 6th book: Final sticker + medal
• 7th book: Key ring/Zip tag
• 8th book: Notebook + swimming voucher
There will also be competitions and raffles to win special Mythical Maze prizes including tickets for Southend United, Adventure Island and tickets for a show offered by Southend Theatres
• Every year, thousands of families all over the country are involved in the UK’s biggest reading event for children in libraries, the Summer Reading Challenge, coordinated by The Reading Agency.
• The aim of the challenge is to get children to read six books or more from their library during the summer holidays.
• Everyone who signs up for the Summer Reading Challenge can keep track of the books they read and receive encouragement to keep reading all summer long. It’s great fun for kids and what’s more, it doesn’t cost a penny to join.
• This year’s challenge is called Mythical Maze
• There’s an exciting adventure waiting for children when they take part in the 2014 Summer Reading Challenge. They can join mythical creatures as they explore a Mythical Maze, simply by reading six books from the library. They can discover the secrets of Mythical Maze and meet some of the fabled residents.
• Are the children of Southend brave enough to explore The Mythical Maze and discover the inhabitants that await them there?
• Visit www.mythical-maze.org.uk for even more fun and games